Mom 2 Mom: How Can I Prevent SIDS
This Article Brought To You By:
Hi Mandy. I am scared to death of SIDS or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. I have a two week old girl and I need to know ways I can keep my baby safe.
- Always put your infant on her back to sleep.
- Use a firm mattress with a tight and secure fitted sheet.
- Do not have pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, bumpers, or anything else in the bed. Wearable blankets like the Halo Sleep Sack are great and safe.
- Put your baby’s cosleeper, bassinette, or crib in your room.
- Do not allow smoking in your house.
- Allow your baby to suck on a pacifier or thumb while sleeping.
- Avoid overheating your baby (room temperature and overdressing).
- Keep her room at a cool 68-70 degrees.
- Use a fan in the baby’s room to help keep her cool and improve air flow.
- Look into getting a Snuza Hero. It is a device that clips onto your baby’s diaper (battery-operated so no cords or overheating) and sends a gentle vibration if it does not detect stomach movement (breathing) after 15 seconds. If it still does not detect stomach movement after 20 seconds, it will alert you.